Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

HOW TO: Get your kids to talk

Do you ever ask your kid "How was your day?" and they say "I dunno...." or the infamous "I can't remember"?  I think this is THE most annoying thing besides whining for no reason.  Another mom and I were talking about what I could do to help get my kids talking.  She told me that maybe I should ask specific questions instead of "How was your day honey?".  I decided to test it out today and I am happy to say had great results.  My daughter, who is 6, talked about a lot of things that I didn't know about her school.  I truly understand the importance of friends that are mothers.  You see, I would not have thought to try that.  Some things come natural and some things don't.  Here are some questions that she recommended.

* "What games did you play in gym class?"
* "Were you happy or sad at school?"
* "What did you learn about your friends today?" 
* "Did you draw any cool pictures?"
* "What job did the teacher pick for you?"
* "What was your favorite thing you did in Math class?"

What did you talk to YOUR kid about today?

J


1 comment:

  1. that's great that your friend recommended that!! we were lucky, holden's kindergarten teacher gave us that adivce on meet the teacher night. other questions i ask holden a lot are, what was your favorite learning center? and did you write anything today?

    ReplyDelete